Additive Manufacturing Software Specialist
About Us: We are pioneering the future of solar technology for space applications through our AM-SPACE initiative. Collaborating with esteemed organizations, we are focused on leveraging the capabilities of 3D printing to enhance the efficiency and flexibility of solar panels tailored for space applications.
Role Overview: We are seeking an experienced and innovative individual to join our team, with expertise in developing and optimizing 3D printing slicers, particularly for continuous carbon fiber printing. The ideal candidate will have a deep understanding of 3D printing toolpaths, slicing software modifications, and the challenges associated with continuous carbon fiber printing. The candidate will be hired for the AM-SPACE project with the possibility to be hired for a permanent position after the project completion.
Development of a Slicer Plugin for Continuous Carbon Fiber Printing (12-18 months):
- Develop a working slicer or plugin for continuous carbon fiber printing, ensuring the capability to print panels with unidirectional fibers and possibly additional perimeters.
- Modify existing slicers, such as Cura or Prusa, to adjust toolpaths for multi-material prints.
- Integrate additional processes into the slicing software.
Slicing Optimizations/Changes (12-18 months):
- Improve printing techniques.
- Enhance printing of corners through temperature and speed control.
- Address island effects by optimizing temperature and speed settings.
- Implement coasting and seam adjustments based on specific requirements.
- Integrate cooling and heating effects based on the printing area.
Digital Twin Development (3-6 months):
- Work on a development project to establish a digital twin for qualifying parts.
- Ensure meaningful results to demonstrate the efficacy of the digital twin in the qualification process.
Firmware and Hardware Support (3-6 months):
- Assist in updating to recent firmware versions, such as Klipper or Repetier V2.
- Provide limited remote support for hardware-related issues.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related field.
- Proficiency in C++, Python, and relevant slicing software.
- Extensive experience with 3D printer slicing applications and toolpath modifications.
- Strong understanding of continuous carbon fiber printing challenges and solutions.
- Familiarity with firmware updates and basic hardware troubleshooting.
Working Conditions & Hours:
- This is a part-time position, expecting 20 hours per week, but there's potential for up to 40 hours per week based on project needs.
- While the position offers remote flexibility, due to the hardware-centric nature of the role, we prefer candidates who can work in-person or make frequent visits to test the software and hardware integrations.